We’re going to point up a common item that’s everywhere: a particular brand of power points. PDL. But old PDL. They’re known as the ’60 Series’ because all their part numbers started with 6. Here’s a pic:
Now, these are still perfectly legal if they are existing. BUT… they get dangerous as they get older.
Have a close look at the picture, and notice the greenish brown stuff that’s on the switch. It’s just years of dust and moisture buildup, mixed with the grease that PDL put on the base of that switch rocker way back when it was made. And it conducts electricity – straight to your finger.
Modern outlets have switch modules that separate the front piece (called a dolly) from the contacts inside. The dolly is separated from the electrics by a mechanism with a spring and they make a solid ‘click’ sound as you operate them.
Here’s the same fitting in a safe, modern replacement:
As a bonus, there’s no reason why the single cannot be changed for a double, like this:
And they’re cheap enough to do the whole house. Contact us and we’ll talk.
It’s pretty simple really. The best thing to do is leave it to a tradesman and know it is safe and right. Some insurance policies specifically exclude homeowner electrical work – be safe rather than sorry.
Electricity is everywhere around us. Almost everything in our homes is dependent on it. And sometimes it talks to us…
Click. Click click. Clickety click click.
When electricity jumps a gap, it makes a little spark. It’s kinda like a miniature lightning bolt, with it’s own mini thunder – a sharp click. If your light switch makes a loud clicking when it gets turned on, the contacts in the switch are most likely getting worn. (I don’t mean the solid mechanical click of the actual switch mechanism – but you knew that). If it sounds wrong, appears to spark, or randomly clicks and blinks the lights – get it fixed. Before it becomes buzz, or pop.
Pop! Pow! What was that?
Something went bang, and now half the house has no power? Sounds like rain. No, seriously – rain water gets into outdoor lights and shorts out the wiring. The circuit breaker senses the excess current, and turns off suddenly – with a popping sound. Or, like a client a few weeks ago, someone accidentally clamped the toastie maker’s cord in with the bread. It went pop all right! Call the sparky if you don’t know what did it, and especially if it pops again straight away when you try to reset the breaker.
Buzz Buzz, I wonder why it duzz?
I had a call the other day, to a ‘buzzing switchboard’. “It buzzes when the stove is on, see?” (cue buzzing sound, thin wisp smoke, and horrid acrid electrical smell). The buzzing is a constant stream of sparks. If it’s buzzing and crackling, turn it off. If you just ignore it, you’ll be needing these guys.
Electricity is useful, and safe if controlled. If it’s talking to you, it’s getting out of control. Contact your local sparky.